We were having a ufiche party for the 360/50 and the lead systems guys got
an 'emergency call' from a former student at one of the local mills. They
had a  3500 and had run the payroll three times and different results every
time. The  ironworkers were milling around in the parking lot with evil
intentions. Did we  have a 'storage oscilloscope'? Well we rounded up a couple
and headed for the  mill.

Long story short they had expanded, but had the new wing of 50 HP Bessemer
converters on the same power feed as the computer room. Every time one of
those big motors kicked in they would get about a 140 volt spike on the 3500
 bus. The memory would actually change state. Isolation transformer fixed
'em  right up.

In a message dated 2/12/2013 5:13:43 A.M. Central Standard Time,