I've been staying out of this conversation; sometimes I fail to read carefully,
but this time I actually understood the question, so I kept my mouth shut, not
knowing the answer.

...Except for the obvious possibility, of course.  But no one seems to have
mentioned that possibility yet, except Mr Relson.  So I'll go ahead and say it:
 If what you want is to plug in a time-zone name, and the local computer
doesn't offer it, don't you just have to create a table of 24 possibilities (or
maybe a few more) and select one based on the offset from GMT?  You can double
the size of the table, if you want, by accounting for DST.  So if the local
time is five hours less than GMT, you cite it either as EST or CDT, depending
on the date.  Sure, your algorithm presumably can't know whether it's located
in Montreal, Costa Rica or Quito, but you can plug ~something~ in and it'll at
least match ~a~ time zone.

Not as satisfying as having The Real Local time-zone name, I agree.

---

/* There's a new study out that says too much caffeine can cause
hallucinations. I think it's true because I was at Starbuck's today, and I
hallucinated that a cup of coffee cost $4.  -Craig Ferguson */