https://homepage.divms.uiowa.edu/~jones/cards/codes.html Charles
-------- Original message --------From: "Farley, Peter x23353"
<peter.far...@broadridge.com> Date: 6/2/20  7:43 AM  (GMT-08:00) To:
IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU Subject: Re: Punched cards and character set
Radoslaw,In the IBM world, all possible EBCDIC characters (all 256) were
possible to punch into physical cards, but punching any characters not on the
keypunch machine's keyboard (like lower-case letters) required using the
"multi-punch" key (or on older keypunch machines, physically holding the card
in place so that punches did not advance the column position) to manually punch
the necessary holes in one column.If you sent "object deck" output of the
assembler or a compiler to a physical card punch peripheral you could punch all
256 characters into them.  It was harder to do from a manual keypunch
machine.There were alternate physical card formats for non-IBM environments.
IIRC, Univac used a 96-column card with round holes instead of rectangular
ones.  I saw them once, but never got to work with them.I have been asking
Google to find any documentation of the full encoding of punches to EBCDIC
characters but haven't found anything relevant yet.Sorry, I don't have any
actual JCL on physical punched cards any more.  Somewhere in the attic I may
have a box or two of blank ones, but nothing with punches.Peter-----Original
Message-----From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On
Behalf Of R.S.Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 10:20 AMTo:
ibm-m...@listserv.ua.EDUSubject: Punched cards and character setI have never
used punched cards, so forgive me my questions.As far as I know, a character
set on punched cards was somehow limited, so it is not EBCDIC or similar set of
256 characters.Of course that means some limitations for DD * datasets - if
coded on real punched cards.Nowadays I'm pretty sure DD * accept every possible
character, as any other dataset (with some exception for delimiter). Note, it
is program independent - this is a change within system (JES2, Interpreter,
whatever).Q1: how it was in the past? I mean, were the DD * limited to "punched
card" character set? Or it was always full EBCDIC if the job was read from
DASD?Q2: What about character set on the cards? Was it always one and the same
within S/360 family? I noted there were several character sets, but as far as I
understand those set was for other machines (Remington,pre-S360 IBM machines,
etc.)Was there any name for card character set? I mean something like "CP 037"
or so.And another question, or rather kind request: Does anynone have JCL
statements on punched cards? I would like to get/download some images of JOB,
EXEC, and DD statements on punched cards. I have a lot of card pictures, but
none with JCL.--This message and any attachments are intended only for the use
of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and
confidential. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an
authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
e-mail and delete the message and any attachments from your
 IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,send email to