Thanks all! Thanks much! Let me try to do one reply here to hold down the noise.

> active mode is the one using PORT; passive mode uses PASV

Thank you! It's a detail but I want to have the details right. Details are of
the essence here. What *exactly* does the server send? On the client end I see

SC1373 initDsConnection: entered
SC2848 sendCmd: entered
EZA1701I >>> PASV
SC3311 getReply: entered
SC4479 getNextReply: entered with waitForData = TRUE
227 Entering Passive Mode (10,200,40,20,8,106)

Where *exactly* did the client get that 10.200.40.20 from? What *does* the
serve send to convey "open your data connection on this address"?

In other news:

- "Switching to another type of FTP" is non-trivial because the use of FTP is
embedded in another product that builds control files on the fly. It would be a
development project to use "a different FTP." Not out of the question, but a
development project nonetheless.
- Both ends are z/OS FWIW. There is a mix of "legacy" and zFS. That is all
under control presently.
- I guess "IBM" SFTP does not support legacy datasets but Dovetail SFTP does?
Is that right?
- Big question on SFTP: does it support anything like SITE FILETYPE=JES/GET
jcl_file system_messages ? That is, submit a job and wait for completion?
Without that it is a re-architecting, not a re=writing project.
- No program objects at this point but possibly in the future.
- Yes, having to install another product is a HUGE obstacle. Not impossible,
not saying Dovetail is not wonderfulness, just the reality of sales is that
"you have to install this other product in order to try our product" is always
a huge obstacle.
- > FTP's dual port architecture is simply a nightmare. Yeah, it always seemed
so to me. Why do you need two sessions -- by default initiated in opposite
directions -- to transfer both files and control information?

Charles