On 02/19/2013 11:25 AM, Gerhard Adam wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Natasa Savinc
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:54 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Low priority workload

Hello!

>From time to time (certain days in a month) we hit group or system limit. We
have different types of workload defined in WLM. Among others, most batch jobs
have the lowest priority. At the peek times they apparently get no CPU resources,
but when we make report at the end of the day, they managed to get some CPU
seconds. We would prefer that those seconds were allocated to important online
transaction.

There are two opinions amoung our sysprogs: one is that we should cancel all
low priority workload in order to help our online get all the resources, the
other is that that is not necessary, as batch isn't getting any online's CPU
resources anyway.

It seams that when you hit the limits things become more complicated.

Any thoughts about our dilemma? Any experiences with life on the edge?

Regards,
Natasa

In some environments with LPAR sub-capacity capping based on 4-hour MSU average it can be more complicated.

WLM bases its management on current resources and workload. It has no way of "knowing" that giving available resources to lower priority work now when resources may be plentiful may result in raising the rolling 4-hour MSU average to the point that in the future the LPAR may become capped at a time of peak load of high priority workload, denying that later high-priority workload the ability to use any CP resources above the MSU cap to handle short-term peaks.

It would admittedly be an unusual case where manual micro-management might do a better job than WLM, but just be aware that on a tight system, decisions to run lower-priority work that seem reasonable at the time could contribute to LPAR capping during the following four hours and adversely affect later high priority work. There could be times when humans with better knowledge of future workloads than WLM might be able to take preemptive action to delay or avoid LPAR capping to improve response to future high priority workloads.

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org