Simple formulae:

* # VTOC tracks = (max # datasets you want to have on the volume + max #
datasets with > 3 extents + max # EAS datasets + 5) / 50.
* # VTOCIX tracks = (max # datasets + 5) / 21;

I'd let SMS take care of the VVDS; it can grow if needed.

Things that should go without saying (because they're obvious):
1. If you don't know the inputs, then you'll have to estimate, or guess.
2. It's much better to make the VTOC & IX bigger than necessary than too
small.

sas