My guess is that something in your inserted prologue/epilogue code contains
a forward-reference that causes HLASM to suspend the location counter in
pre-assembly.

The message (ASMA032E) is a prime example of the anti-pattern of issuing an
error message that makes you guess which of the listed possibilities is the
problem.  I'm guessing it's "unresolved symbol" due to the above.

sas