On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 08:59:39 -0800, Ed Jaffe wrote:

>One area of focus is our corporate file server, which utilizes the
>DFS/SMB server on z/OS. We have large, single-volume ZFS data sets on
>large volumes. (They used to be multivolume ZFS on smaller volumes). One
>small update causes the entire ZFS to require daily HSM backup. That can
>be a time-consuming process. ...

ITYM zFS.

Most of my department's large UNIX filesystems are NFS mounted
from ZFS (not zFS) on Solaris servers.  Our daily backups are
ZFS snapshots, almost negligible latency, followed by background
dumps to tape.

Disclaimer:  I am associated with the Solaris/ZFS vendor, but not
authorized to speak for them; my opinions are personal.

-- gil