It depends on who owns the road, and what local jurisdictions it
passes through.  HOA (Home Owners Associations) own all the roads in a
development and set the speed limits there.  Cities own most city
streets and decide on the speed limit.  Townships own most roads
outside of cities and set their speed limits.  Counties often own
major rural highways between and through towns in the county and set
their speed limits.  States own main routes across the state, usually
marked as a State Route, US Route, or Interstate Highway (I know of
one stretch owned by Illinois that isn't marked as one of these).
Speeds depend on how the road is built and what buildings are
alongside the road and how close together they are, and how busy the
road is.  Federal Government only own the highways within a federal
area, such as Blue Ridge Parkway or Natchez Trace, or within a
national forest or national park.

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 10:03 AM Martin Packer <martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> Except speed limits only became a thing long after y'all got together.
>
> I wonder how deciding what is a state, county, township prerogative and
> what is a federal one works. Probably on a (legal) case by (legal) case
> basis.
>
> Cheers, Martin
>
> Martin Packer
>
> zChampion, Systems Investigator & Performance Troubleshooter, IBM
>
> +44-7802-245-584
>
> email: martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com
>
> Twitter / Facebook IDs: MartinPacker
>
> Blog: https://mainframeperformancetopics.com
>
> Podcast Series (With Marna Walle): https://developer.ibm.com/tv/mpt/    or
>
> https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/mainframe-performance-topics/id1127943573?mt=2
>

> Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu_65HaYgksbF6Q8SQ4oOvA
>

> From:   Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu>
> To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
> Date:   05/08/2020 15:02
> Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: OT: OOBOL and English was Re: Still COBOL
> After All These Years?
> Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
>

> Contrast the US with the EU and you may begin to grasp the issue.We
> started as a dozen different colonies with diverged interests, and the
> Federal system is just one of the compromises that are set in concrete.
> Changing them is not just politically impossible, but would be a
> logistical nightmare if approved.
>

> --
> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__mason.gmu.edu_-7Esmetz3&d=DwIFBA&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=BsPGKdq7-Vl8MW2-WOWZjlZ0NwmcFSpQCLphNznBSDQ&m=tzn17DV8iG45XL8PsCHf10ElE8RVulff4GSwjIPwYxE&s=2oNX6YUlogcN9MH7DWD21ydg0dZ4GwP_GO-yECnNkcc&e=

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA