On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 15:34:56 -0700, Sri h Kolusu wrote:

>> This could be done thorough an RFE to JCL and no change to SORT,
>> such as (suppose this worked):
>>
>> //  SET  X01=X'01',X05=X'05'
>> //*  Then:
>> //SYSIN    DD *,SYMBOLS=JCLONLY
>>   OPTION COPY
>>   INCLUDE COND=(1,500,SS,EQ,'&X01.1&X05.ABCDE')
>
>Hex values aren't supported for set statement.  You would get IEFC629I
>INCORRECT USE OF APOSTROPHE ON THE SET STATEMENT  error.

My key word was "RFE".  And since the construct is now prohibited,
introducing it as an enhancement would cause no breakage of
current art.

>If you want to pass hex values then you need to edit the SET statement by
>turning on HEX mode and override the hex values.

Many programmers prefer desktop editors that have no HEX mode.  I have
often chosen to embed JCL as here-documents in shell scripts which write
to INTRDR so I can use the power of shell facilities.

As I conjectured, enhancements to SORT are granted more readily
than enhancements to JCL.  Regular expressions meet the need.

Thanks,
gil