From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Sean Gleann
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 3:40 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: ZCX task monitoring, anyone?

[CAUTION: This Email is from outside the Organization. Unless you trust the
sender, Don’t click links or open attachments as it may be a Phishing email,
which can steal your Information and compromise your Computer.]

Can anyone offer advice, please, with regard to monitoring the system resource
consumption of a zcx Container task?

I've got a zcx Container task running on a 'sandbox' system where - as yet
- I'm not collecting any RMF/SMF data. Because of that, my only source of
system usage is the SDSF DA panel. I feel that the numbers I see there are...
'questionable' is the best word I can think of.

Firstly, the EXCP-count for the task goes up to about 15360 during the initial
start-up phase, but then it stays there until the STOP command is issued. At
that point, EXCP-count starts rising again, until the task finally terminates.
The explanation for that is probably because all the I/O is being handled
internally at the 'Linux' level - the task must be doing *some* I/O, right? -
but the data isn't getting back to SDSF for some reason. Without the benefit of
SMF data to examine, I'm wondering if this is part of a larger problem.

The other thing that troubles me is the CPU% busy value. My sandbox system has
5 engines defined, and in the 'start.json' file that controls the zcx Container
task, I've specified a 'cpu' value of 4. During the start-up phase for the
Container started task, SDSF shows CPU% values of approx 80%, but when the task
is finally initialised, this drops to 'tickover' rates of about 1%. I'm happy
with that - the initial start-up of *any* task as complex as a zcx Container is
likely to cause high CPU usage, and the subsequent drop to the 1% levels is
fine by me.

But... Once the Container task is started and I've ssh'd into it, I then want
to monitor its 'internal' system consumption. I've been using the 'Getting
Started...' redbook as my guide throughout all this project, and it talks about
using "Nodeexporter", "Cadvisor", "Prometheus" and "Grafana"
as tools for this. I've got all those things installed and I can start and stop
them quite happily, but I've found that using Cadvisor on it's own can drive
CPU% levels back up to 80% for the entire time it is running. If a system is
running flat-out when all it is doing is monitoring itself, well, there's
something wrong somewhere... I'm trying to find an idiot's guide to controlling
what Cadvisor does, but as yet I've been unsuccessful.

Regards
Sean

::DISCLAIMER::
________________________________
The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission.
The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore
not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or
opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and
may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any
form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written
consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have
immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for
viruses and other defects.