On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 19:03:10 -0500, Steve Beaver wrote:

>The only reason I can think of a case where the syslog is way behind.

This is a symptom of IBM's indolent design.  Simply:
o Such a command shouldn't return to caller until it's complete and
  all its output is available.
o Or it should write an unambiguously identifiable end record.
o Or there should be a documented *practical* maximum delay
  needed to guarantee completeness.  ("An hour" is not practical.)

>> On Aug 26, 2020, at 18:51, Jesse 1 Robinson wrote:
>>
>> I've never seen the need to code any delay beyond what Ed has written. I
>> have a CONSOLE routine that does a DS QD for all the DASD volumes in the
>> shop. It just keeps cranking until all results are in.

How can you tell?

-- gil