what I wrote is correct for such.
See Table 15 top entry, for ANS rules for division;
Table 16 top entry, for IBM rules.

On 2020-09-07 22:19, Joe Monk wrote:
Actually it does...

Under the IBM suboption:

   - Nonzero scale factors are permitted in FIXED BIN declarations.

   - If the result of any precision-handling built-in function (ADD,
BINARY, and so on) has FIXED BIN attributes, the specified or implied scale
   factor can be nonzero.

Under the ANS suboption:

   - Nonzero scale factors are not permitted in FIXED BIN declares.

   - If the result of any precision-handling built-in function (ADD,
BINARY, and so on) has FIXED BIN attributes, the specified or implied scale
   factor must be zero.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSZHNR_2.0.0/com.ibm.ent.pl1.zos.doc/pg/rules.html

Joe

On 2020-09-07 13:05, Joe Monk wrote:
> "No it isn't.  4/3 yields 1.333333... to 15 digits,
> and is of precision (15,14)"
>
> Depends on RULES(IBM) or RULES(ANS). If its RULES(IBM) it will never be
> integer division.

It doesn't depend on whether IBM rules or ANS rules are in force.

What I said it correct for IBM rules also.
The result is always an integer.
See Table 16.
When the operands have maximum precision, the result is integer.

The formulas for precision and scale factor are exactly the same.