ITYM follow on from EXEC2. Or was Mike working on REX before EXEC2?

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Rupert Reynolds <rreyno...@cix.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 8:05 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: REXX true/false (was Constant Identifiers)

Confused? Difficult to say--the brash nature of this debate is clouding
things.

There is an example above which uses something like ''00000001'B to
initialise a variable.

In Rexx, that is not a boolean value. Depending on which interpreter you
use, it is either a byte with contents x'01', which might be printable in
some character sets, or it's a string of seven characters '0', a character
'1' and a character 'B'. The only numbers I've found thay work in boolean
expressions are 1 and 0.

There were always going to be compromises building an interpreted language
to follow on from the EXEC interpreter on VM/SP.

Rupert