From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Jesse 1 Robinson
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 12:01 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Is there a word for that?

This is a question about categorizing JES2 commands. At one time, when we
were still buckling our knickerbockers above the knee, many/most JES2
configuration definitions could be modified only by some kind of restart
ranging from hot start to warm start to cold start. Some years ago JES2
developers got very busy and created command support for all kinds of
parameters that previously required some kind of disruption.

The result is that now most JES2 configuration parameters can be modified
via $T. In fact, most changes are generally *ignored* during JES2 restarts
other than cold start. So here's my question: is there a generally accepted
term for 'changeable by command'? It would facilitate communication
regarding all kinds of changes. This weekend we scheduled a JES2 change
involving layers of administrative rigmarole that was 'implemented' by
editing the JES2 init deck. We eventually issued a $T command after noticing
that the desired change did not take effect at IPL. I've heard 'volatile'
suggested for 'changeable by command', but I don't find documentation to
support that. Any ideas?

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson