On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 00:06:01 -0500, Brian Westerman wrote:

>They are mifrofiche tapes, and they are not sent out for processing any more.
>They exist only on the off chance that "someday" they might be needed to
>recreate something.  When they are needed, they use the DSN=,VOL= to use them.

I read your more recent ply, but I'm curious about the history.

"Sent out" seems to imply they're physical tapes to go in a courier pouch.
I had imagined virtual.  And RETPD must be comfortably beyond the
"someday they might be needed."

Does/did the process depend on the DSN's being precisely
    hlq.FICHE.TAPE, perhaps to trigger an exit or operator
action?

I don't see that cataloguing unique DSNs would help much -- it leaves
the chore of associating DSN rather than VOL=SER with a particular
job to be retrieved.  It would enable a DSLIST of all such tapes.

-- gil