On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 16:59:34 -0700, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

>Applications should not "validate" filenames before attempting to open or
>create a file. Present the name to the file system API and report any error
>back to the user. Application filename validation is what leads to these
>inconsistencies.

I will strongly agree with that, Charles.

It goes along with not trying to pre-check the security results of something
like opening or creating a file. They should just try to take the action as
requested by the user, and if the system fails the operation they should report
the failure. There are too many possibilities of error in trying to duplicate
the security requests the system will make anyway, which could lead to either
false positive or false negative results, or compromise auditing. Let the
component that is responsible for the security make the security decision.

--
Walt