On Sep 30, 2020, at 8:13 AM, Peter Relson <rel...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>> ORG  *,8
>
> Curious: Does this do anything that "DS    0D" doesn't do?
> Wouldn't "DS    0D" be more typical for "I want the next thing to be on a
> doubleword boundary?
> It certainly is for those of us who learned assembler long before SECTALGN
> (and this form of ORG) even existed.
>
> It might be true that the ASMA500W message is not the write message for
> "ORG ,8" but that is assuming that you know what boundary is being
> processed for such a case. The "null" first operand might have some effect
> on things. Or maybe it really is just a parsing glitch (and is an error).

When I started out I wanted a larger boundary (256), but when that didn’t work
I tried reducing the boundary and increasing SECTALGN to see if it would help.

Also, if I understand how ORG works correctly, the semantics of using ‘*’ for
the expression are different from omitting an expression. The first sets the
location counter to its current value (before increasing it to the boundary)
while the second sets it to the highest available location in the current
CSECT. So if I need to make sure I’m at the end of the current control section
(this code is in a macro, so I won’t in general know that the location counter
is already there) I’ll need two ORG statements:

    ORG ,
    ORG *,256

That seems less than optimal.

--