On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 14:56:21 -0400, Joseph Reichman wrote:

>I posted a problem last week regarding allocating a concatenated dataset a
>few of you (Seymour,Paul Gilmartin) suggested that when processing the 4,608
>VB (huge) files

(I believe Lizette offered a similar suggestion.)

>That rather then concatenate them and when I reach the limit deco catenate
>them
>
>I just process on file at a time
>Alloc
>      Open
>             Read
>     Close
>Unalloc
>
>Well this process is taking forever. I initially ran the program under TEST
>and it took 3 wall minutes to get to the 58th file

How does that compare to the time it takes to process the 58 concatenated?
Doesn't concatenation need the same 58 calls to DYNALLOC to allocate plus
one more to CONCAT?

But concatenation might spare some OPEN/CLOSE/EOV overhead.

Does TEST make a difference?

>I am wondering whether BSAM with above the bar option would be worth the
>effort if it sped things up

-- gil