(This is about * and other special names, not about PDS and LNKLST. )

There are two *valid* approaches:

1. Unix-like. Allow use of special characters in the names, but also support a method to disable special treatment of the character. That's why it is possible to use * as/in the filename, but there is also a method to delete or manage file named *. One can tell system "hey this is just name *". Disadvantage: unexperienced user may issue "rm *" command just to delete single file.

2. Disallow use of special characters in the names. So special character has special meaning only. One can use * only as "all names", but not as part of the name. And there is set of "legal" characters which can be used in the name, other characters are forbidden even if the characers have no special meaning. Example: left bracket have no meaning as generic, but it cannot be used in the name. The same for Ą (polish character), etc. Disadvantage: I don't know any system which works as described here. Usually there are some inconsistencies. MVS part of z/OS is good example. Ancient PC-DOS as well.

So, if ALL could be used both as special name and as regular name, and there was no method to distinguish it - it was inconsistency.

BTW: I know a case where (silly) system administrator used "rm *" and ...deleted all files belonging to banking application. Yes, on production. This branch was closed for several days, fortunately they had backups and ...paper documents for recovery.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland