I'm not assuming any abend code outside the x37 family, just asking
which one.

x37 is not an actual abend code but a generic reference to family of
abend codes  (A37, B37, D37, E37) relating to various out-of-space
conditions.  For a PDS, you get a distinct E37 abend rather than a B37
or D37 when a space failure occurs when attempting to add a directory
entry.

Yes, the underlying root cause for a space failure in the directory is
different for a PDS vs a PDSE, and the problem resolution for a PDSE is
the same whether the no-free-block failure is for a directory-block or a
data-block; yet there are legitimate arguments for preserving an abend
distinction between the case where no member  could be created vs the
possible creation of a member with incomplete data.   The latter case is
potentially more dangerous, as an incomplete member is more likely to be
successfully read by a subsequent process and produce additional
incorrect results that must be resolved.  Or does PDSE logic design
somehow preclude reading a PDSE member when an out-of-space condition
has prevented a proper close and writing of all data blocks during the
member creation?
    JC Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing