> Sri
> Could you refer me to some documentation to help me better
> understand the differences between BUILD and OVERLAY?

Cameron,

In simple terms as their names suggest

BUILD  - builds the record from scratch
Overlay - The content is overlaid.  ( Any area outside the LRECL can used
as Temp space and can be overlaid and the contents can referred
iteratively.)

If you're not familiar with DFSORT and DFSORT's ICETOOL, I'd suggest
reading through "z/OS DFSORT: Getting Started". It's an excellent tutorial,
with lots of examples, that will show you how to use DFSORT, DFSORT's
ICETOOL and DFSORT Symbols. You can access it online, along with all of the
other DFSORT books, from:

http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=114&uid=isg3T7000080

Thanks,
Kolusu