> The control statements below work fine. They do what I wanted.
> Today my question is if these SORT Control statements can be optimized?
> This is not urgent.

Cameron,

Your job definitely can be optimized.  But I want to make a observation
that you might be skipping some results.

You are assuming that the ddnames DMNETMAP and DMSGFIL have the dataset
name on the same line.

1. ) For example if your input has the following Input, you will NOT pick
the DSN names

//DMNETMAP DD DISP=SHR,
//            DSN=$HLQ.NETMAP
//DMPUBLIB DD DISP=SHR,
//         DD DSN=$HLQ.PROCESL
//DMMSGFIL DD DISP=OLD,
//            DSN=$HLQ.MSG4

2.) Similarly the stepnames can any where from 1 byte to 8 bytes, however
your picking bytes from 4 thru 8 . Assume the following input

//S1 EXEC PGM=DMBATCH,REGION=1024K,PARM=(YYSLYNN) .

3.) What happens if SYSIN cards are generated from previous step as a temp
dataset and passed over to DMBATCH step?

ex:
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/how-submit-instream-process-jcl-using-dgadbatc-dmbatch

Check how  &&TEMP is generated.

How do you plan to handle the &&TEMP contents?

4.) Also the program DMBATCH can have SYSIN2 also, do you plan to extract
the information?

5.)  Technically SYSIN can be a PDS with member name. So the maximum length
of PDS+Member = 54 bytes  ( 44 Dsn name+ 8 byte member name + 2 byte for
opening and closing parenthesis).  However your control cards don't seem to
be handling them.

Let me know the answers to be above questions and I will show you the
optimized control cards.

Thanks,
Kolusu
DFSORT Development