Skippy, a number of misapprehensions in there.

A certificate never "consists of a public and private key." A certificate
contains a public key, and somewhere there is a corresponding private key. A
PKCS12 package may contain both the certificate and the private key, but a
certificate itself never contains a private key.

No, the "public key" per se is not installed anywhere. If the FTP server will
be presenting a server certificate, then the root certificate of the CA that
signed that certificate must be installed and trusted on the client machine.
(If the server certificate is self-signed, then it is its own CA, and it must
be pre-installed and trusted on the client.)

"When looking at a directory of certs, how can I find the public one?" is not a
question that has an answer. "Public cert" is not a generally recognized
concept.

There are many, many ways that one might create a certificate, but the most
common sort of approach would be (1) using gskkyman or RACF to create a
certificate signing request, and then having (a.) a public CA who will charge
you money; or (b.) PKI services run by your shop to sign it and issue a
certificate; or (2) using RACF or gskkyman to create a self-signed certificate.
Self-signed certificates are a whole topic of their own, but briefly, the plus
is that they are free and easy; the minus is that they enjoy a certain amount
of ill repute and will not be suitable in many scenarios.

If you are going to be your own certificate expert then I think you need to
start with some general education on how the certificate process works, and
then proceed from there to specific, detailed questions on this list. There are
a number of SHARE presentations that would be a starting point, or the RACF Sec
Admin Guide, or perhaps one of the Redbooks. Otherwise you will need to retain
the services of such an expert.

Charles