I've checked the 2020 September refresh.

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 09:12:17 -0600, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>Does "conversion errors" mean "invalid octet sequences" in the source
>as well as characters valid in the source CCSID but having no equivalent
>in the target charact set.  In the former case, how many 0xff are written?
>
>(is "0xff" possibly a typo for "0x3f"?
>
>Truly, if the target character set is ASCII-like the substitute character
>should be 0x1a; if EBCDIC-like, 0x3f; if DBCS, ???, but not a single octet.

Is this affected by the update to SC14-7314-40 (see below), and my
addiitonal comments.

>    SC14-7314-40  XL C/C++ Runtime Library Reference
>says:
>    iconv() — Code conversion
>    If a sequence of input bytes does not form a valid character in the
>    specified encoded character set, conversion stops after the previous
>    successfully converted character, and iconv() sets errno to EILSEQ.
>    If iconv() encounters a character in the input buffer that is valid, but
>    for which a conversion is not defined in the conversion descriptor, cd,
>    then iconv() performs a nonidentical conversion on this character.
>    The conversion is implementation-defined.

Now, with revision bar:
    If iconv() encounters a character in the input buffer that is valid, but
    for which a conversion is not defined in the conversion descriptor, cd,
|   then the substitution character is to be put in the target buffer and the
|   conversion is to be continued.

I feel that "substitution character" should be further clarified to
"substitution
character (SUB) of the target character set".

("is to be" isn't colloquial English.)

>I feel like a couple RCFs

-- gil