On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 13:01:53 +0800, David Crayford wrote:

>This is really cool. We could use this right now for our SCLM/Git
>Integration tooling.
>
>Q: How does it handle member ENQs. Does it ENQ using SPFEDIT or SYSDSN?
>One of the problems we ran into with "cp" copying an entire data set is
>it fails if one member is in use.
>We worked around this by writing a cp_pds_to_dir command.

Further, does LMCOPY use BPAM, avoiding the multiple OPEN/CLOSE overhead
and SPFEDIT, avoiding the EXC SYSDSN lockout?

But the killers are that LMCOPY requires LMINIT, not compatible with UNIX
files, and LMPUT requires EXC SYSDSN, even for PDSE.

Grrr...

There are several possible RFEs, none of which I ever submitted:

o LMINIT should support UNIX files.

o fopen() should optionally support the SPFEDIT alternative.
  This has been discussed previously in these fora.

o SHR should suffice for LMPUT to PDSE.

-- gil