On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 10:43:14 -0800, Charles Mills wrote:

>Well, they're different environments for one thing. FTP FILETYPE=JES is
>wonderful, but it does not run as a JES2 command. Ditto TSO and ISPF SUBMIT.
>
>To nitpick, IEBGENER is irrelevant, right? SYSOUT INTRDR is the key; you can
>get there equally well from IEBGENER, REXX, or a COBOL program.

Someone would need to code that Rexx or COBOL.  IBM has already
generously done that chore for IEBGENER.

Apparently:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.4.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r4.e0za100/ch1jes2_24_disk.htm
the disk writer does nothing but wait until a MODIFY command tells
it to SUBMIT a job.  Is that better than SUBMITting immediately and
quitting?

I'd need to look further to learn the constraints on the RECFM and
LRECL of the member to submit from or the submitted JCL.   I'm
so optimistic as to expect there are none beyond those imposed by
JES2 itself.

    "Job security is based on the source of the $SUBMIT command."
I don't know what "source" means here, nor whose employment
prospects are affected.

The IEBGENER proc could have been written by customers many
releases ago:
    //STEP EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
    //SYSUT1  DD  DDNAME=IEFRDER  /* I'm guessing.  */
    //SYSUT2  DD  SYSOUT=(,INTRDR)
    //* ...

-- gil