It would be a courtesy to leave a citation when appending to a thread.
A reader might wish to refer to the <snip>ped text.

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 08:19:34 -0500, Peter Relson wrote:

><snip>
>The real question is not "how long can a path be [today]?" but rather "how
>long might a path be at any future point when this compilation is
>running?"
></snip>
>
>And that's why z/OS will never change the maximum path length by default
>(I actually thought it was 1024, but my knowledge is only from what
>CSVQUERY implemented and documents for returning the path name). There
>would have to be some sort of "opt-in" for a longer name.

Why, then, does z/OS not provide the POSIX-required and safe "allocating"
form of realpath()?

Are any other utilities/functions affected?

Is it IBM's uniform policy never to relax any limit because a suitably
mischievous (or stupid) programmer might leverage it into an exposure?

How does this cover:
o NFS, where IBM can't control the content of the guest filesystem?
o The possibility that administrators might mount a tower of
  filesystems to a height beyond the putative hard-coded PATH_MAX
  ("putative" in that the value is mentioned in (obsolete?) M&C but
  no macro is defined)?

Study: https://eklitzke.org/path-max-is-tricky

-- gil