On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 13:05:41 -0800, Charles Mills wrote:

>Do you think IBM would conceivably embrace the idea of PARM= honoring "
>(quotation marks) as delimiters?
>
>PARM="'abc�*' PCRE2.TESTLIB(GRPIN)"
>
>would be a lot clearer than
>
>PARM='''abc�*' PCRE2.TESTLIB(GRPIN)''
>
>I find products that allow the use of either " or ' to delimit strings to be a
>lot easier to use. "Don't touch!" is a lot clearer (to me at least) than
>'Don''t touch!'.

(What are the non-ASCII characters?  MUA too smart by half?)

Rexx rules!  Simply, characters introduced by symbol substitution are
*never* recognized as metacharacters, so with simple doubling but
not redoubling, and not resorting to alternate delimiters:

    verb = 'isn''t'
    phrase = verb 'good'
    sentence = 'This' phrase'.'
    say sentence