Paul Gilmartin wrote
>breaks commonly used conventions or newer HLASM functions
>(e.g. SETRP),

Can you be more specific?

It's pretty likely that SETRP did not break anything (unless it was 30
years ago). I could easily believe that some things might not work with
newer HLASM functions (but I'm curious "which").
IBM typically makes no claim that its existing macros work with newer
HLASM functions, unless otherwise stated. I'll bet that your code makes no
such claim either.

Use new HLASM functions on your own code at your own discretion; don't
presume they work on others' code.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design