Brian Westerman asks:
>Is anyone using IBM's Cloud Tape Connector product that can tell me
>about the software requirements for it?  Is it just the product that
>needs to be licensed under z/OS, or do you need to license so "other"
>stuff as well?

I can answer the licensing questions unofficially, i.e. based on my best
understanding. In the hopefully unlikely event IBM officially communicates
something at odds with what I'm writing, of course that'd be controlling.

IBM Cloud Tape Connector for z/OS does not have any particular software
product prerequisites or co-requisites except the base z/OS operating
system. Reference:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SS6GQC_2.1.0/concepts/cuzucon_requirements.html

As a practical matter you'll need a SAF-compatible security manager. The
z/OS Security Server (RACF) is my favorite, but there are at least three
choices. You're highly likely to need some cloud object storage targets,
on and/or off premises, which may have their own licensing or subscription
requirements. However, there are sometimes free tiers available. IBM Cloud
Object Storage, for example, offers a free "Lite" tier that could serve as
a test target at least.

https://www.ibm.com/cloud/object-storage/pricing

You can license IBM Cloud Tape Connector for z/OS either separately (IBM
Program No. 5698-ABM) or as part of the IBM Advanced Storage Management
Suite for z/OS (5698-AAJ). License quantities are based on Value Unit
Exhibit 007 (VUE007). It's z/OS-based subcapacity licensing eligible,
including Tailored Fit Pricing eligible. On/Off Capacity On Demand (CoD)
licensing is also available. If you'd like me to elaborate on any of these
parts, just ask.

Timothy Sipples
I.T. Architect Executive
Digital Asset & Other Industry Solutions
IBM Z & LinuxONE
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com