On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:12:52 -0500, Kurt Quackenbush wrote:

>On 1/14/2021 10:10 AM, Bill Giannelli wrote:
>> can anyone provide JCL to tar a USS directory?
>//PAX      EXEC PGM=BPXBATCH
>//STDPARM  DD *
>PGM /bin/pax -zvwf /u/user/paxfile.pax.Z
>/directory/to/be/paxed/
>/*
Must that second line be indented so it is not abbutted to the first, resulting
in:
    PGM /bin/pax -zvwf /u/user/paxfile.pax.Z/directory/to/be/paxed/
... ???  The manual,
    z/OS  Version 2 Release 4
    UNIX System Services Command Reference
    IBM  SA23-2280-40

 needs clarification here.  And in

    From a TSO command environment, the parameter string itself will now
    support up to 32754 characters.

Doesn't TSO CALL impose a limit of 100?

    Parameters to BPXBATCH can also be supplied via the stdparm DD up to a
limit of 65,536 characters.

65,536?  65,535 is more plausible.

    In addition, program_name can contain option information.

My experience has been that after SH the remainder of the PARM is passed
as the command-string to "sh -c 'command-string'".

When PGM is specified, the PARM is tokenized at blanks. The first token is
the program (path)name; remaining tokens are arguments to the program.

    When PGM and program_name are specified and the specified program name
    does not begin with a slash character (/), BPXBATCH prefixes the user's
initial
    working directory information to the program path name.

"initial working directory"?  I'd expect "current" working directory.
What about when SH is specified?

>//STDOUT   DD SYSOUT=*
>//STDERR   DD SYSOUT=*

    5. BPXBATCH does not support any ddnames other than stdin , stdout, stderr,
       stdenv or stdparm. Attempting to allocate or reference any other ddnames
       will result in enqueue failures or unpredictable results. To use an MVS
data set
       in your batch UNIX application, use "dynamic allocation", such as SVC99
or
       the TSO ALLOC command. Also, you must remove all "static allocations"
       (ddnames referring to the MVS data set in question) from all steps in the
       batch job.

How many misstatements or misleading statements are in that paragraph?
Certainly static (JCL) allocation is less susceptible to enqueue failures than
dynamic allocation.

-- gil