From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 11:25 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: TSO RECEIVE and System Determined Blksize (was: TSO XMIT and no
member list)

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 10:03:01 -0600, Wendell Lovewell wrote:

>Could you please elaborate on your comment "never solved issue like non-SDB
>(system determined blocksize) in XMIT and RECEIVE command"?

Long ago there were discussions here of ISPF SUBMIT's failing because
of inadequate (default?) SPACE for its workfiles.  The same might apply
to TRANSMIT.  Likewise old utilities might have hardcoded BLKSIZE
(3120?  6144?) suboptimal for recent DASD.  But if such utilities were
changed to BLKSIZE=0 the larger values supplied by SDB might cause
downstream programs to fail.

Formerly some utilities (Linkage Editor?) imposed a limit of 3120.

I had some Rexx programs fail when EXECIO removed its internal
BLKSIZE computation to let SDB operate.  Rapidly fixed by APAR,
but Support advised "Always code BLKSIZE."  An ironic consequence
of SDB.

>I have been having an issue with TSO RECEIVE (and a program that also calls
>IEBCOPY) when SDB is "Y".  IEBCOPY is having some sort of problem and
>displaying this message:
>
>IEB1139W THE OUTPUT DATA SET BLOCK SIZE IS BEING REDUCED FROM 32720 TO 27920
>BYTES.  ANY EXISTING PHYSICAL RECORDS
>         LONGER THAN 27920 BYTES ARE FAT BLOCKS AND MAY CAUSE I/O ERRORS.
>
>and ending with a return code of 4.  The dataset being RECEIVEd is actually
>fine, as the LRECL is always less than 27920 (80 in this case).  But RECEIVE
>sees the RC=4 from IEBCOPY and ends with RC=12.
>
>IBM currently has case number TS004689510 open for this, but I assumed it was
>a new issue although I only have SDB=Y on right now for testing.

-- gil