From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Charles Mills [charl...@mcn.org]
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 7:09 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Rexx stem variable question

Thanks all. I am getting it now. I had the wrong mental model of how Rexx
stems work (and I suspect some others may also.)

I pictured it kind of like C or COBOL multi-dimensional arrays. I pictured
Rexx A.B.C.D being essentially analogous to C language A[B,C,D] or COBOL
A(B, C, D) albeit with "associative subscripts."

But it really is more like a one-dimensional array than an n-dimensional
array. A.B.C.D is kind of the same thing as A.ValueOfB_ValueOfC_ValueOfD.
The periods just separate the different variable names, making A.B.C.D
distinct from A.BCD. B.C.D is one "subscript," not three. There is only one
tail, a series of values essentially concatenated with periods, not a
hierarchy of tails.

The fact that it is one-dimensional explains why A.B. has no special
significance.

A. is special; it is "all the possible tails of A" but A.B. is just "A.B
plus a period."

Charles