Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the best-practice for collecting SMF data
with Logstream instead of MAN datasets. There are few points I seem to
miss and I hope to get some advice from those who used it for a while.
I can see the benefits in storing the SMF on logstream only, for
example I can use IFASMFDL to set range of dates and not have to worry
about the location of each week/month in a different GDG generation.
Also, the ability of logger to use the timestamp to read only relevant
period can save time and CPU while offloading data in comparison to
sequential read.
Those benefit however are minified if I use the logstream only as a
short-term storage before migrating the data to the regular GDG
datasets.

Here are some open questions I have:
1. The ideal situation for me would be to have all SMF data on
logstream, for example for a period of two years, but there is a limit
of 168 offload datasets before starting to use DSEXTENTs and each
dataset can be up to about 2GB in size, this makes me wonder if I
misunderstood the Logstream usage as a long term storage of smf data.
Does it make sense to hold SMF data for few years on logstream?

2. Using the IFASMFDL utility is very tricky as I can get RC 4 for
both "RELATIVEDATE RANGE EXTENDS INTO FUTURE" and for a case where I
ran the job on a different system (DASD-only logstream) and it failed
to find the logstream.
Worse than that, if I try to dump data from few offload datasets (a week for
example) and one of the "middle" datasets is missing I can get a
return code of 0 while the data returned will be only what Logger was
able to find.
How can I be sure that the dumped data from IFASMFDL is complete?

By the way, I used the "SMF Logstream Mode" redbook which was very
useful but it left me with those unanswered questions.

Many thanks for helping,
Ron Burg