Thank you Gadi and Jim,

For us, using DASD-only logstream is the preferred way and I already set it up
on a test system and played with it a little bit.
I set up a RETPD of 10 days. this works fine and I understand that this is the
prefered way and not period of years, I just wanted to check the possibilty of
longer-period on a logsream as this extands the benefits (for example maybe I
can migrate the offload datasets of the Logstream itself to tapes).

The other thing that bothers me more is the IFASMFDL which gives me a return
code of 04 for critical errors.
for example, I tried to dump (not archive) data from logstream to a sequential
dataset, but I gave a wrong LS name, this resulted in the following message:
IFA815I INSTALLATION ERROR FOR LOGSTREAM IFASMF.BLABLA.DFLT
                LOGSTREAM IS UNAVAILABLE CAUSED BY RC=08-080B
IFA825I LOG STREAM NAME HAS NOT BEEN DEFINED IN LOGR POLICY.

and although I can see in the message RC=08-080B, the job itself ends with RC 4.
How can I catch those type of errors? the only solution I thought on is running
another step of REXX to parse the IFASMFDL output and search for common error
messages and then set a return code accordingly.