Interesting, as I believe I just resolved my issue, and I think it worked.  My
issue was my method of specifying environment variables.  I had them specified
in a single quoted string instead of two separate quoted strings, separated by
a comma.  The following works (specified in a CEEOPTS DD):

ENVAR('GSK_PROTOCOL_TLSV1_2=1', 'GSK_V3_CIPHER_SPECS=3D35')

This does cause a warning that "specID 3D not recognized", but I think that is
simply a result of the FTP application trying to find a text representation for
a cipher that it doesn't know about.  But at the System SSL level it all seems
to work.

With "DEBUG SEC" specified in my ftp.data<ftp://ftp.data> I see the following:

FC0334 ftpAuth: ........ cipherspecs =
FC0379 ftpAuth: environment_open()
FC0543 ftpAuth: environment_init()
FC0552 ftpAuth: environment initialization complete
EZA1701I >>> AUTH TLS
234 AUTH command OK. Initializing SSL connection.
FC1011 authServer: secure_socket_open()
FC1083 HSNOTIFY rc: 0
FC1088 authServer: secure_socket_init()
FU1316 tlsLevel: specID 3D not recognized
FU1325 tlsLevel: using TLSV1.2  (3D)
FC1171 authServer: gsk_attribute_get_cert_info()
FC1216 authServer: decode certificate length = 1575
EZA2895I Authentication negotiation succeeded

Everything seems to work.  I won't be able to validate for 100% that it's using
a SHA256 MAC until the server is reconfigured to exclude SHA1 again, but I
think we're good.

Not that we shouldn't convert to AT-TLS at some point.  But right now we just
want to get this working.

Frank