Is the TSO TESTAUTH command still around? I have to admit I can't remember ever trying it. My debugging method of such code typically consisted of multiple temporary WTO's to let me know where the program was at before it failed, and also display fields or registers I was interested in. Usually within a few iterations of that method, I'd figure out my problem.

Another method: After looking at your code for hours and hours, have someone else peek over your shoulder and invariably they will see the problem in seconds.