Hi Steve.

I've found the SSL trace information written into a USS file to be somewhat
easier to use.  You can turn on GSK_TRACE flags and specify a trace file using
STDENV similar to the example below IF you specify the
PARM=('ENVAR("_CEE_ENVFILE_S=DD:STDENV") (the _S is crucial or the DD * input
won't work):

//FTPS     EXEC PGM=FTP,REGION=4M,
// PARM=('ENVAR("_CEE_ENVFILE_S=DD:STDENV")/ftp.linuxsite.com 21 -e')
//STDENV   DD *
GSK_PROTOCOL_TLSV1_2=ON
GSK_TRACE=0xFFFF
GSK_TRACE_FILE=/tmp/gskfile.trc
//*
//SYSFTPD  DD *,SYMBOLS=(JCLONLY)
CLIENTERRCODES         EXTENDED
EPSV4                          TRUE
EXTENSIONS                AUTH_TLS
FWFRIENDLY                TRUE
KEYRING                     &KEYOWNR/&KEYRING
PASSIVEIGNOREADDR  TRUE
SECUREIMPLICITZOS    FALSE
SECURE_FTP                REQUIRED
SECURE_MECHANISM   TLS
SECURE_DATACONN     PRIVATE
SECURE_CTRLCONN     PRIVATE
SECURE_HOSTNAME    REQUIRED
TLSMECHANISM           FTP
TLSRFCLEVEL              RFC4217
//* TRACE
//* DEBUG SEC
//* You can also add other debugging or trace options to SYSFTPD
//OUTPUT   DD SYSOUT=*
//INPUT    DD *,SYMBOLS=(JCLONLY)
ftpuid
ftppwd
etc
QUIT
//*

The above step doesn't require AT-TLS changes or changes to your FTPDATA
datasets, but I don't think the changes you've alreayd made there will prevent
you from specifying the GSK options via STDENV.

With the GSK_TRACE flags set, the SSL information will be written to the file
you specify in GSK_TRACE_FILE.  There is a USS utility named gsktrace that you
will need to read the trace file and interpret it into something you can read.
The format is gsktrace > gskfile.trc > gsk.out

The gsktrace output will be pretty detailed, but you can usually find an error
of some kind.

These manuals, especially the first one, will probably help:
SC14-7495-30 Cryptographic Services System Secure Sockets Layer Programming
SC27-3651-30 IP Configuration Reference
GC27-3652-30 IP Diagnosis Guide
Wendell