ChannelConvert shell,exec  -- is the default.

I do see this in the documentation:

/This option should not be used globally in zos_ssh_config since changing conversion options for channel types (for example, "subystem" or "exec") could cause sftp, scp, and other exec connections to fail. The option may be used in Host blocks for selected connections./

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com