We have an in-house tool that monitors CPU consumption and other
performance metrics for address spaces and CICS transactions. This data is
summarized every 5 minutes to allow easy querying and comparisons. All of
this data is stored in DB2 and we have created some impressive SQL queries
to quickly and efficiently display anomalies and critical issues. Our
management runs our mainframe near full capacity to achieve "full value"
for their processors. Needless to say, we don't always have enough
tolerance to allow CPU consumer "outliers".

With this tool, researching high CPU consumers that are out of their
average have become easy, but we cannot easily determine the
perceived impact. Just because an address space is consuming more CPU and
the system is at 100% doesn't necessarily mean our customers are perceiving
any negative impact. The system could be over its CPU share for the sysplex
and another system may have spare CPU to 'steal'. Having the ability to see
any delays in our lower service class address spaces would be a great
addition.

I've been working on a major enhancement to collect CPU delays (I really
don't care about other types of delays at the moment) for each address
space, but I'm not getting the desired results. I read that IWMRQRY and
IWMCOLL appear to be the best services for this solution. However, I found
that neither of these services return an ASID or any identifier of an
address space. IWMRQRY has an input parameter for ASID, but running this
service for every active ASID on the system (roughly 150 on our sandbox
system) every quarter second (our WLM interval) is not cheap.

Is there a better solution for collecting this data or am I missing
something about these WLM services?

Thank you,

Brian Chapman