Nice, thanks! I've never heard of SYLK but I do seem to remember (perhaps many many years ago) opening a file with a text editor and seeing text like that.

On 3/25/2021 12:48 AM, Bernd Oppolzer wrote:
There is another solution besides CSV which allows to specify field format, field width and so on. This (text) format was defined by M$oft but it is not widely known; it is called SYLK (symbolik link).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_Link_(SYLK)

I used it successfully to create ExCel Documents from a Mainframe (reporting) application; the SYLK files then were downloaded and transferred to the customers which needed them (Filetype XLS).
ExCel opens them without problems.

Kind regards

Bernd

Am 24.03.2021 um 06:10 schrieb Gadi Ben-Avi:
If it's just text, creating a csv file shouldn't be too difficult, and Excel will be able to read it with no problems. Separate the fields with commas, and if a field has spaces, surround it with ". Format dates and time as something excel will understand as a date or time.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of Peter
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 6:31 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Creating XLS file

Hello

I am looking for a freeware or any sample program which can covert my mainframe file into an excel file.
Just to be clear we don't have SAS or any seperate tool to achieve this.

Is there any working solution who can point me in the right direction?

Peter

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Email secured by Check Point