On 28/03/2021 8:58 am, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
Yes, but ...  The use of IND$FILE remains so prevalent (partly because
of absurd site security rules), and the use of zFS has become so prevalent,
that the union should be sanctified.

IBM would no doubt say (and I would agree):
You should be using the z/OSMF Dataset and File REST API.

Is there anything you can do with IND$FILE that you can't do with the REST API? Apart from transfer over a TN3270 session? How many people have TN3270 access to the mainframe but not HTTPS?

I have been using the REST API and it is pretty good. Not perfect, but IND$FILE isn't perfect either.

It is fast... it can compress data in transit, so for transfer of SMF data (my purpose) is about 10x faster than FTP if bandwidth is the limiting factor.

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software