>From my research (and some Share presentations) my understanding is that,
>prior to 2.3, z/OS reserved large frames at IPL time which would make them
>unavailable for 4K pages unless the system broke them up.

Making LFAREA a limit rather than a reservation is much better.

My question, essentially, is if there is any penalty for leaving LFAREA much
higher than required.

I'm asking because it's tempting to set some parameters artificially high so
you don't have mess with them but there's a hidden cost.  One example is CICS
max task (MXT).  A lot of shops set it to the max of 999 which causes WLM to
waste a lot of CPU going through unused performance data blocks.

Robert Crawford
Mainframe Management
United Services Automobile Association
(210) 913-3822

« Des clochards comme nous, bébé nous sommes nés pour courir » - Voltaire
Please send requests to mainframe management through our front door at
go/mfmfrontdoor