From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Radoslaw Skorupka
Sent: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 5:07 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [External] Re: Debugging "A high error rate was detected on the
Optical Link network." HMC alert

We've got it!
"when it was connected to another mainframe, but it has it now"
So something has changed. This is the most likely moment for error.
Now it's time for investigation - what cable is new, what is old, what plug was
inserted, etc.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
(looking for new job)

W dniu 06.04.2021 o 22:20, Christian Svensson pisze:
> Hello,
>
> I understand that ideally I would find the error - but all the values seem
> correct in my eyes.
> The optical values are fine, no errors shown on the interfaces, etc.
>
> This bugs me a bit. I did not have this issue when it was connected to
> another mainframe, but it has it now...
>
> Regards,
>
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 3:32 PM Radoslaw Skorupka <r.skoru...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> You can disable that using HMC features (it is called Optical Network
>> Errors or similar).
>> However DON'T DO IT.
>> This is symptom of some problem. It can be pinched FO cable, dirty
>> connector or failing SFP module.
>> Unfortunately it is almost good, so there is no simple way to know
>> whether cable change helped or not.
>> We like more consistent failures ;-)
>> However I would start from visual inspection and then cable change.
>>
>> --
>> Radoslaw Skorupka
>> (looking for new job)
>> Lodz, Poland
>>

>> W dniu 05.04.2021 o 12:25, Christian Svensson pisze:
>>> Good day,
>>>
>>> Recently I have been getting these kinds of alerts from my HMC. It all
>>> started when I connected an old DS6800 and the details are:
>>>
>>> Node 1
>>> Machine: 2498-B40
>>> Serial: IBMCA107312B
>>> Physical Interface: 6620
>>> Logical Interface: 0020
>>>
>>> Node 2
>>> Machine: 1750-511
>>> Serial: IBM130000715
>>> Physical Interface: 0100
>>> Logical Interface: 0000
>>>
>>> I keep getting these errors about 3-4 per day with the exact same
>>> interfaces specified. No others, just these.
>>>
>>> When I look at the referenced SAN switch and I do a "porterrshow" things
>>> seem fine:
>>>             frames      enc    crc    crc    too    too    bad    enc
>>   disc
>>>     link   loss   loss   frjt   fbsy  c3timeout    pcs
>>>          tx     rx      in    err    g_eof  shrt   long   eof     out   c3
>>>    fail    sync   sig                  tx    rx     err
>>>    20:    4.8m  46.9k   0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
>>>      0      2      2      0      0      0      0      0
>>>    32:   27.5k  17.7k   0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
>>>      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
>>>    33:   19.3k  13.6k   0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
>>>      0      0      1      0      0      0      0      0
>>>    36:   78     79      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
>>>      0      0      1      1      0      0      0      0
>>>    37:   56     57      0      0      0      0      0      0      0      0
>>>      0      0      0      1      0      0      0      0
>>>
>>> I assume the interface given in the alert is in hex, so the error would
>> be
> [...]

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format.  Thank you.