You configured the 3174 controller to use 4 of it's ports to support 4
different LUs on the same coax, and it had to be in DFT mode.  Then I think the
4 LU's were configurable to whatever screen size you wanted, but you might have
had to give up some of the 3290's memory to get the 160 by ? screen size.

My ears were younger back then & I could rest my eyes and listen for the
high-pitched sound that meant the screen was being refreshed again (back in the
days of "seconds" response time).  My older boss didn't really believe me the
time he caught me at it!