From: Staller, Allan [mailto:allan.stal...@kbmg.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:53 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SMS QUESTION

What if *all* of the volumes are at/near the high threshold (20%)?
Very often there are candidate volumes defined to SMS,  but that do not
physically exist (which  could be the 51 volumes lacking space for the
allocation).

<snip>
While I agree that the High Threshold should be 80 (or in that vicinity), SMS
does not PREVENT allocations above the High Threshold, it merely tries to
direct them to a volume below that threshold.
The last line of the error msg. is the problem. 51 volumes lack the free space
to allow the allocation.

The solution would be to add volumes to the pool OR allow for a multi-volume
file. Use a smaller Primary space allocation and use UNIT=(3390,10) in your DD
statement. The 10 is just an example, the upper limit is 59.
</snip>

I believe your problem is located here:
<snip>
Allocation/migration Threshold :              High    20   (1-100)  Low . . 1
(0-99)
</snip>

IIRC, the HIGH 20 will prevent allocation of new datasets if the PRI space will
exceed the high threshold.

BTW, IMO, the ALLOC High of 20 is extremely low. I would suggest a number more
on the lines of 50 to 80 percent.
You will most likely be able to reduce the number of volumes in this pool after
the change.

HTH,
<snip>
Allocation/migration Threshold :              High    20   (1-100)  Low . . 1
(0-99) Alloc/Migr Threshold Track-Managed:      High    85   (1-100)  Low . . 1
  (0-99) Guaranteed Backup Frequency  . . . . . . NOLIMIT  (1 to 9999 or
NOLIMIT) BreakPointValue  . . . . . . . . . . . .          (0-65520 or blank)

Of late we have been having allocation problems where the job is unable to
allocate the first extent and fails on jcl error etc.  I found the following
info which may explain the cause.   Am I barking up the wrong tree?  If not, if
I change the High from 20 to 80 would that address the problem?  Also, would
HSM miigrate dsn only if the pool is reached 80% or over?

MIGR HIGH is also checked during allocation.  SMS attempts to select a volume
that has enough space available to contain the primary allocation of the new
data set without exceeding the
               MIGR HIGH threshold.
</snip>