On 13/03/2013 12:00, Shane Ginnane wrote:
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 10:01:57 +1100, Andrew Rowley wrote:

I'm not sure how it is packaged in z/OS, but in general I think it is
incorrect to replace the /etc directory when installing a new version of
the operating system - the same way you would not drop in a totally new
SYS1.PARMLIB.

lol - you wish ... read this:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r13/topic/com.ibm.zos.r13.e0zm100/at3gend.htm?path=1_5_4_1_2#at3gend

That's not completely inconsistent with what I was saying...

They are telling you to merge your existing /etc and /var with the new delivered ones, which is essentially correct. A new installation will have stuff delivered in /etc and /var, but the contents will be customised and will change and on a real system. The point is you don't want to lose your current customisations - which could be for much more than the base system software.

My approach would probably be to keep the delivered /etc somewhere e.g. in the SERVICE filesystem, and have the real /etc mounted in it's own filesystem so it is preserved when you replace the root with an upgrade.

Then you can compare old and new delivered /etc in the SERVICE filesystems, and assess and migrate changes to the real /etc as required. Typically, I would expect changes to the delivered /etc between releases to be fairly minor.

I think the biggest problem with that document is that someone has tried to write a procedure that will work in all circumstances, without any constraints on what you are starting with e.g. having the old delivered /etc to compare. If you can control your starting point, you can make it much simpler.

Would a written procedure to merge a delivered and existing SYS1.PARMLIB be any better? That's why they implemented concatenated PARMLIBs.

Regards

Andrew Rowley

--
and...@blackhillsoftware.com