On Mon, 10 May 2021 12:56:42 +0000, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

>CMS originally ran on a real S/360 or on a S/60 virtual machine under CP-67.
>The CMS for VM/370 through VM/SP ran
> on a virtual S/370. When did CMS stop requiring S/370 mode and when did it
> stop supporting S/370 mode (if it did)?

I worked on that project as I was in CMS Development at the time, the owner of
a lot of I/O-related code.

VM/XA SP2.1 shipped CMS 5.5, the "converged" CMS that made CMS bimodal
(dual-pathed for 370 and 370-XA) and replaced all of the I/O instructions
DIAGNOSE calls to CP.  Prior to that, CMS Release 5 (VM/SP 5) required 370
mode, though you never noticed because VM/SP (and the VM/ESA 370 feature)
didn't have any other kind of virtual machine.

Both the ESA and 370 features of VM/ESA 1.0 and 1.1 had the same CMS (level 7
and 8, respectively).

z/VM 3.1 was the last release to support 370 mode virtual machines, including
CMS.  z/VM V4 (all releases) tolerated virtual machines defined with MACHINE
370, but would not instantiate them.  (This was done in case of sharing a
directory with z/VM V3 or earlier.)   The 9672 G3 was the last machine with 370
microcode, and z/VM 3.1 was the last release to support the G3.

CMS today would probably run in a 370 mode virtual machine.   There are still
BC/EC-mode dual paths, too, but let's not get carried away.  :-)

Sir Alan
Lord of the Protocols
Order of the Knights of VM