Matt,

One problem with the Slow start up is the first time it has to
compile/cache things - the second time it is faster.  Ive blogged on saving
the cached stuff across restarts.
I hear one of the problems is to do with the checking access to files, not
Java as such.
Z/OSMF had been up and I had been using ISPF through it ... I then jumped
to TSO and saw the high IO rate in SDSF.
Is there a C_run_ time/LE trace/Other which would give me some hints?
Colin